- 5th January - Phil Pearce is arrested for his involvement in Eric Pollard's antique frauds.
- 11th January - Mark Hughes goes missing.
- 19th January - Mark Hughes is found.
- 18th January - First appearances of Pete and Lynn Whiteley.
- 8th February - First appearance of Bill Whiteley.
- 22nd February - Robert Sugden returns to the village. (First appearance of the character since 1988)
- 29th March - Joe Sugden meets his fianceé's ex-husband. (First appearance of David Hughes)
- 12th April - Joe Sugden and Kate Hughes marry. Jack Sugden and Sarah Connolly return to the village. (First appearance of the characters since 1988)
- 26th April - Kathy Merrick suffers a miscarriage.
- 11th May - Sandie Merrick leaves the village. (Final appearance of the character)
- 24th May - First appearance of Ted Sharp
- 6th July - Denis Rigg dies when he is impaled against a wall by a bull. (Final appearance of the character)
- 12th July - Dolly Skilbeck is kidnapped by Ted Sharp.
- 4th August - Jackson Walsh is born to Jerry Walsh and Hazel Rhodes.
- 10th August - Final appearance of Ted Sharp.
- 16th August - Jackie Merrick dies when the gun he is holding accidentally goes off. Jasmine Thomas is born to Luke and Karen Thomas.
- 17th August - Jackie Merrick's body is found by Seth Armstrong.
- 24th August - Kathy Merrick identifies Jackie's body, and is distraught when it turns out to be Jackie. (Final appearance of Jackie Merrick)
- 31st August - Donald Hinton leaves the village. (Last appearance of the character until 1993)
- 9th September - Tracy Shankley is born to Evette Shankley and Frank Clayton.
- 21st September - The inquest into Jackie Merrick's death takes place.
- 24th October - Debbie Dingle is born to teenage Cain and Charity Dingle.
- 9th November - Archie Brooks goes to stay with his mother. Caroline Bates moves to Scarborough with her mother. (Last appearance of the character until 1990).
- 14th November - First appearance of Chris Tate.
- 21st November - First appearance of Frank Tate.
- 23rd November - David Hughes attacks Pete Whiteley when he sees Pete kissing his daughter Rachel.
- 28th November - Jack Sugden gets a job at a fish and chips shop in Hotten.
- 5th December - Jack Sugden quits his job at the fish and chips shop after he finally tires of his boss Sid Flower's poor treatment of his employee Donna by pouring a tin of baked beans all over Sid.
- 7th December - Matt Skilbeck leaves for Norfolk. (Final appearance of the character)
- 12th December - First appearances of Kim and Zoe Tate.
Real life events
- 3rd November - Luke Tittensor (Daz Eden) is born.
- 14th November - With the introduction of the Tate family, the show changes its name to Emmerdale.
- Emmerdale Farm: The Knitting Book is published.
|←1988 1989 1990→|