Africa is the world's second-largest and second most populous continent, after Asia. At about 30.3 million km2 including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of the Earth's total surface area and 20% of its land area and it accounts for about 16% of the world's human population. The continent contains 54 fully recognised countries, eight territories and two de facto independent states with limited or no recognition. The majority of the continent and its countries are in the Northern Hemisphere, with a substantial portion and number of countries in the Southern Hemisphere.
- 1908 - Orton Sugden died on a ship sailing around South Africa on his way to Australia.
- Unknown date - Beckindale School teacher Antony Moeketsi was born in Africa.
- 1973 - Carol Benfield left Beckindale and later travelled to Africa where she stayed.
- June 1978 - Matt Skilbeck receives a visit from his cousin Polly Ferris who he hasn't seen in years and they work out that the last time they saw each other was at the orphanage when their Uncle Ned took her to Tasmania.
- January 1978 - Richard Roper leaves Beckindale for South Africa.
- 15th February 1983 - Sam Pearson wins a cruise to the Canary Islands for two.
- February 1988 - Kathy and Jackie Merrick goes on their honeymoon to Tunisia.During their time there they befriended a man named Amir.
- December 1989 - Pete and Lynn Whiteley go on their honeymoon to Morocco.
- 1992 - Adam Forsythe Sr. died somewhere in Africa.
- 2004 - Niamh O'Connor spends some time travelling, and after visiting fiancé Ethan Blake during a break decides she wants to return to Malawi. They decide to go their separate ways - in spite of their love for each other.
- 30th August 2004 - Laurel Potts leaves the village to do voluntary work in Africa.
- Christmas 2006 - Terry Woods travelled to Morocco after he got a lead that his former mother-in-law Jean Hope was there with his young son T.J. Woods. Terry managed to take T.J. home and two years later he took T.J. back to Morocco to visit Jean over Christmas.
- 2011 - T.J. moved to Morocco to live with Jean after Terry's death.
- 2012 - Terry's partner at the time of his death, Brenda Walker visited T.J. and Jean. Brenda became stranded in Morocco when she lost her passport but was able to return home eventually.