The Sugdens worry that Joe may have been drinking prior to driving up to Inglebrook House. Jack makes Marian a meal at Inglebrook. They talk and she picks up on the fact that he's literary. He asks to stay the night. Marian refuses. Tom tells Ruth to come up with a box of sandwiches as an excuse to see Jack tomorrow. He remarks what a coincidence it is that his eldest son has the same name as Jack considering he was her former love. Matt gets ready for the interview in Bradford. Marian tells Jack that she has had a phone call from the hospital, Joe has regained consciousness. Ruth and Jack meet for the first time in eight years and catch up. Jack finds out Ruth's married to Tom. She asks him if he left to be rid of her, he tells her no. Annie and Peggy visit Joe. Matt goes for his interview in Bradford and is not impressed with factory work. Marian visits Joe in hospital, she wishes him well and kisses him on the cheek. Sam tells the family that Ruth visited Jack. Ruth tells Tom that her conversation with Jack was awkward, they were like two strangers. Jack joins Marian for a drink at Inglebrook, she asks if he wants to stay the night in separate rooms.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Ruth - Lynn Dalby
- Tom - David Hill
- Tom and Ruth Merrick's house - Kitchen
- The Woolpack - Public
- Hotten Road
- Inglebrook House - Downstairs rooms
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room, front garden, yard and field
- Unknown hospital
- Latter's Steel Cabinet Assembly Factory, Bradford
- Road outside of Latter's Steel Cabinet Assembly
- TV Times synopsis: Episode 10: Both Joe Sugden and Mr. Wilks are in hospital; Tom Merrick has persuaded Jack to give him a job as a farm hand; Peggy has been unable to get the factory to postpone Matt's interview.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
Henry Wilks: (referring to the flowers around his bedside) "Before you go, do something about these. Makes the place look like a... bad woman's boudoir, especially that lot from Pargeeter. Makes me feel immoral to look at 'em."
Marian Wilks: "Well what shall I do with them?"
Henry Wilks: "Just take 'em away. Ooh, give them to young Sugden. 'Appen they'll cheer him up."
|November 1972 episodes|
|• Mon 6th • Tue 7th • Mon 13th • Tue 14th • Mon 20th • Tue 21st • Mon 27th • Tue 28th|