Robert is horrified by Andy's admission that he was responsible for starting the fire that killed his mother. Unable to come to terms with the revelation, he flees the house desperate to get as far away from his adopted brother as possible. Seeing his son's desperate escape, Jack confronts Andy and is furious to discover why Robert is so upset. Fearing for Robert's state of mind, Jack begins a desperate search for him. He enlists Richie's help, but Alan is less than happy when Jack interrupted his romantic meal with Diane and asks them to look after Victoria while he continues his search. As afternoon turns into evening, Jack finally discovers where Robert has been hiding. He tries to persuade him to return home, but Robert told him that he will not live in the same house as Andy. Jack suggested that he could arrange for him to stay with Annie and Amos in Spain for a while. He was heartbroken when Robert agrees, but demands to leave that night. Bernice and Carlos give in to temptation and decide to embark on a full blown affair.
- Robert Sugden - Christopher Smith
- Andy Sugden - Kelvin Fletcher
- Jack Sugden - Clive Hornby
- Victoria Sugden - Hannah Midgley
- Edna Birch - Shirley Stelfox
- Betty Eagleton - Paula Tilbrook
- Bernice Thomas - Samantha Giles
- Diane Blackstock - Elizabeth Estensen
- Ashley Thomas - John Middleton
- Richie Carter - Glenn Lamont
- Alan Turner - Richard Thorp
- Chloe Atkinson - Amy Nuttall
- Kathy Glover - Malandra Burrows
- Seth Armstrong - Stan Richards
- Len Reynolds - Peter Martin
- Nicola Blackstock - Nicola Wheeler
- Carlos Diaz - Gary Turner
- Christopher Tate - Peter Amory
- Charity Dingle - Emma Atkins
- Melby Farm - Robert & Andy's room, yard and living room
- Unknown woodland
- The Woolpack - Public bar, beer garden, backroom and cellar
- Main Street
- Pear Tree Cottage - Front garden
- Chez Marlon - Dining area and kitchen
- Unknown fields
- Last appearance of Robert Sugden until 7th August 2001 and final appearance of Christopher Smith in the role. Upon his return, Robert was then played by Karl Davies.
- The actors portraying a group of youths asked by Jack about Robert are all uncredited despite a line of dialogue.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 8,940,000 viewers (11th place).
Edna Birch: "If Len Reynolds was the last person in this world, I wouldn't lower myself to have any sort of social intercourse with him."
Betty Eagleton: "I beg your pardon?"
Edna Birch: "I said social intercourse! There's quite enough of the other sort going on in this village already."