Jim eventually gives up waiting for Sharon to emerge from her hiding place in the abbey. Beryl Crossthwaite is frantic with worry. Annie suggests calling the police. Jim goes straight to The Woolpack for a drink and it is here that P.C. Ball questions him about Sharon's disappearance, he claims not to have seen her since the sheepdog trials. Henry has dinner with Verney who admits that he regrets not having any children. Sharon returns home and tells her mother that she felt ill and had to rest which was why she did not come straight home. Trash breaks into the millhouse and spends the night there. Matt asks for a fortnight's holiday to renovate Jameson's house for himself and Peggy. Henry receives a telegram from Marian saying that Jack is not with her. Joe expresses surprise that Jack and Marian have not got married while on holiday. Matt drives Annie into the village. Jim follows Sharon through the village as she walks with her mother, she tells him to keep away. Trash steals various scraps of food and returns to the millhouse in an attempt to cook them. Jack turns up at the millhouse and encounters him.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Verney - Patrick Holt
- Trash - Leonard Maguire
- Beryl - Joan Scott
- Sharon - Louise Jameson
- Jim - Myles Reithermann
- P.C. Ball - Christopher Wray
- Beckindale village
- The Woolpack - Public
- The Mill - Living room
- Crossthwaite's Cottage - Living room
- Old Abbey Ruins
- Hotten Road
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room and yard
- Miffield Hall - Lounge and garden
- A piano version of the theme tune played during the scene where Matt Skilbeck drives Annie Sugden into the village.
- A musical interlude also plays as Trash walks through the village.
- TV Times synopsis: Episode 29: Sam haggled with Hilly throughout the day of the sheep-dog trials, but has finally refused to buy his puppy. Jim Latimer has followed Sharon Crosswaite up to the lonely, ruined Abbey.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|January 1973 episodes|
|• Mon 1st • Tue 2nd • Mon 8th • Tue 9th • Mon 15th • Tue 16th • Mon 22nd • Tue 23rd • Mon 29th • Tue 30th|