Matt suspects that Peggy is pregnant and confides in Annie, he also makes Annie aware that Peggy thinks she's being too soft on Jack. Jack seems to have no intention of helping around the farm. Henry finds out that Jack is the legal owner of the farm and decides to tackle him about the right of way problem. A tractor breaks down on the farm. Jack tells Peggy that she can have the farm if it will make her happy and stop the family nagging at him. Annie tells him it's his duty to stay and make the farm work. Peggy reveals that she is pregnant. Marian questions Joe about his brother, she seems very interested in Jack. Joe offers to teach her to fish. Jack seems interested in the old Millhouse, he learns it cannot be demolished as it has a preservation order on it. He asks Annie if a letter has arrived for him, she says no. Joe discovers that they have diseased hens resulting in all the stock being destroyed. Peggy wants her and Matt to get their own place, she wants Matt to consider getting a factory job. Jack and Henry have a confrontation about access to land. Joe is angry when he discovers a bird has been shot.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Inglebrook House- Downstairs rooms
- Emmerdale Farm - Yard, Farmhouse kitchen/living room, fields
- Road surrounding Emmerdale Farm
- Ronald Magill is credited as Amos Brearly though he does not appear in this episode.
- The theme music plays over a scene where Marian Wilks crosses through the stream and Jack Sugden makes his way over to The Mill.
- TV Times synopsis: Jack Sugden and his brother Joe are both attracted to Marian, daughter of Henry Wilks, a retired businessman who has just moved into a neighbouring house. Wilks consults a solicitor, Peters, about claiming a right of way.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|October 1972 episodes|
|• Mon 16th • Tue 17th • Mon 23rd • Tue 24th • Mon 30th • Tue 31st|