Marian arrives home after her encounter with Jack. Henry is suspicious, but says nothing. She tells him she has a date tomorrow. Amos tells Joe that he saw Marian and Jack holding hands, this upsets Joe. Peggy and Matt row about the farm. Jack visits Marian at Inglebrook. Peggy and Matt make up. Annie goes to the The Woolpack in search of Joe, she tells Amos not to spread gossip about Jack and Marian. Marian quizzes Jack about his past and he tells her that he left Emmerdale Farm eight years ago after rowing with his father about keeping battery hens as Jack was against it, preferring animals to have their freedom. Sam and Matt surprise each other when they discover Joe has borrowed money of the both of them to pay for the fishing rod. Joe causes a scene at Inglebrook as he is jealous of Marian's interest in Jack. Sam tells Annie about Joe borrowing the money, she says that he's had money from her too. Joe arrives back home and Annie sets out to find out what he's up to.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- The Woolpack - Public and exterior
- Inglebrook House - Downstairs rooms and front garden
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room and Peggy and Matt's bedroom
- This episode is the first to use a shorter theme on the opening titles. Usually, the theme runs into the first scene of the episode and fades out upon the first line of dialogue. The short version would remain for this episode and the following episode but the long version returns for Episode 7 and Episode 8. From Episode 9, this short version returns permanently.
- The shadow of the boom mic is visible on Gail Harrison's face during a scene with Marian Wilks, Joe Sugden and Jack Sugden at Inglebrook House.
- TV Times synopsis: Episode five: A friend has arrived out of the blue at the Sugden farm, but Jack has mysteriously chosen not to introduce him to his family. Matt has heard how his rod was broken on Joe's fishing expedition. While out walking, Jack and Marian have been forced to take shelter from the rain in farmer Jameson's barn.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|October 1972 episodes|
|• Mon 16th • Tue 17th • Mon 23rd • Tue 24th • Mon 30th • Tue 31st|